This is a pre-announcement of the third joint transnational research call that will be co-funded by the following ERANETMED partners: ANR (France), ASRT (Egypt), BMBF (Germany), CIHEAM Bari (Int. Org.), CNRS-L (Lebanon), DGRSDT (Algeria), HCST (Jordan), MESRSFC (Morocco), MESRST (Tunisia), MIUR (Italy), MINECO (Spain), RPF (Cyprus), STDF (Egypt), TUBITAK (Turkey). It aims at informing research teams about the imminent publication of the joint transnational research call in May 2017.
The MED-SPRING project participated in the "Seeds&Chips Global Food Innovation Summit", held from 8 to 11 May 2017 in Milano, Italy. This is one of the top food innovation events worldwide. It was dedicated to showcasing national and international talent and cutting-edge solutions from around the world.
Integrating Arab e-infrastructure in a Global Environment, e-AGE, is an annual international conference organized by the Arab States Research and Education Network, ASREN. Since the launch of ASREN in December 2010 at the League of Arab States, it was decided to organize e-AGE every year in an Arab country. e-AGE is in line with ASREN’s major objectives that are related to dissemination and awareness, promotion of research collaboration and joint activities, and establishment of research networks in the Arab region and worldwide.
Water for food and agriculture is an important topic on the agenda. COST supports more than 20 Actions in this area and European stakeholders intensively discuss the issue with a strong focus on the Mediterranean area. COST aims to provide networking opportunities to structure this important field, to link the active researchers with policy stakeholders and thus connect the dots in the European Research Area.
Read more: http://www.cost.eu/events/cost-connect-water .
The conference aims to gather new research contributions from all disciplines of environmental sciences by many Euro-Mediterranean scientists from diverse backgrounds, in particular from the geo- and bio-environmental sciences and engineering, and thus make an essential contribution towards ensuring that science and knowledge can contribute to promoting a more sustainable environment for the Euro-Mediterranean region.
Read more: http://www.emcei.net/ .
Among northern-African countries, Tunisia has been a forerunner in terms of environmental awareness. During the Ben Ali era, it has been the first Arab state to set up a ministry for the environment (in 1991); after the 2010 revolution, the National Constituent Assembly inserted a reference to the commitment against climate change in the new 2014 Constitution.
Since the beginning of the 2011 revolution and the deposition of President Mubarak, Egypt has entered a new phase of political and social unrest. In 2014 Marshal Abdel Fattah el-Sisi won the general elections by an overwhelming majority yet without experiencing an internal social pacification. In this context Egypt participated in the 2015 COP21 and committed itself to both mitigation and adaptation efforts. To date, however, the country has not ratified the Paris Agreement.
A rentier state with a national GDP almost entirely dependent on hydrocarbons revenues, Algeria is a strategic geopolitical actor for the Mediterranean and Northern African area, and also a likely green energy exports leader in the near future, if policy pledges are to be fulfilled. The country’s economy mostly relies on revenues on the exports of oil and gas. In 2012 Algeria was considered the third largest oil producer in Africa after Nigeria and Libya, and the sixth largest natural gas producer in the world.
Morocco is hosting the second UNFCCC climate talks in the country’s history. With the Paris agreement already into force before the Marrakech conference, the Moroccan government has the opportunity to lead a COP focused on means and strategies to actually implement the agreement, rather than on the ratification process. Morocco is a strategic actor of the MENA and South-Mediterranean region, despite its status of of lower middle-income economy with a per-capita GDP among the lowest in North Africa.
In collaboration with the EU Maltese presidency, the MEP Water Group convened a successful public session on "Water Reuse - an effective tool to address water scarcity" on the 7th of March at the European Parliament. The session was chaired by Esther de Lange, President of the MEP Water Group and hosted five high-level panellists, who presented their own perspectives on why water-reuse is a valuable solution to address water scarcity, adaptation to climate change and implement circular economy.
ENPI latest news
Union for the Mediterranean - UfM
EIB latest publications
- Annual Report 2016 on EIB activity in Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific, and the overseas territories
- Report on the implementation of the EIB’s Transparency Policy in 2016
- 2016 Annual Report on EIB operations inside the EU
- Evaluation of the EIF’s SME Securitisation Activities, 2004-2015
- EIB annual 18-K report 2016
CIHEAM press reviews
- Les députés européens s'opposent à l'importation d'OGM
- Syrian Refugees Contributed over $US 800 Million to Egypt’s Economy Since 2011: UNDP Report
- Panic over the red devils threatening to strip Tunisia of its grand palm trees
- Farmers: a dying breed?
- Parte la sfida della sostenibilità: 17 obiettivi da raggiungere al 2030
European Institute of the Mediterranean - IEMED - Spain
Consulat Général de France à Jérusalem
Network of marine protected area managers in the Mediterranean - MedPAN
- Testez un package écotouristique en Méditerranée
- Les AMP se réunissent autour du projet FishMPABlue2
- Candidatez pour le collaborative leadership learning forum des AMP!
- RESERVEBENEFIT : un nouveau projet pour étudier le bénéfice des réserves marines
- Projet DestiMED: Appel à manifestation d'intérêt pour la mise en oeuvre d'Actions Pilotes en écotourisme dans les AMP grecques
The European Water Platform news
- ‘Industry Water: From Single Use to Integrated Management’ Workshop
- First edition of Water Market Europe event marked by success!
- Horizon 2020 to be topped up with €200 million
- Commission to invest almost €104 million in 71 innovative companies under Horizon 2020 SME Instrument
- MEP Water Group Public Session: Water Reuse – an effective tool to address water scarcity’
EIB latest news
Canal Investigación MINECO - Spain
- El Gobierno aprueba 370 millones de euros para proyectos de investigación
- 3ª Convocatoria de Proyectos Transnacionales con participación del Ministerio de Economía, Industria y Competitividad en el marco de ERANETMED
- Resolución de concesión de la convocatoria de Acciones de Programación Internacional 2016
- Convocatoria de Proyectos Transnacionales con participación del Ministerio de Economía, Industria y Competitividad en el marco de la JPI More Years, Better Lives
- La Agencia Estatal de Investigación ha publicado la resolución definitiva de convocatorias de ayudas que permitirá la contratación de más de 630 investigadores
Enseignement Superieur et Recherche - Europe et international - France
- Candidatures au Prix scientifique franco-allemand Gay-Lussac Humboldt 2017
- Appel à candidatures pour le prix Descartes-Huygens 2017 - Appel
- Bourses d'excellence Eole 2017 pour la mobilité vers les Pays-Bas - Session de printemps
- Échange d'assistants parlementaires stagiaires à Berlin
- R&D : quelques comparaisons internationales - Article
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO Newsroom
- Japan is a global model for healthy diets, FAO Director-General says
- FAO and World Bank step up partnership to end hunger and poverty
- Addressing migration requires investments in sustainable rural development
- The Garden Toothbrush
- FAO Food Price Index dips again in April, led by sugar and vegetable oils