Integrating Arab e-infrastructure in a Global Environment, e-AGE, is an annual international conference organized by the Arab States Research and Education Network, ASREN. Since the launch of ASREN in December 2010 at the League of Arab States, it was decided to organize e-AGE every year in an Arab country. e-AGE is in line with ASREN’s major objectives that are related to dissemination and awareness, promotion of research collaboration and joint activities, and establishment of research networks in the Arab region and worldwide.
Water for food and agriculture is an important topic on the agenda. COST supports more than 20 Actions in this area and European stakeholders intensively discuss the issue with a strong focus on the Mediterranean area. COST aims to provide networking opportunities to structure this important field, to link the active researchers with policy stakeholders and thus connect the dots in the European Research Area.
Read more: http://www.cost.eu/events/cost-connect-water .
The conference aims to gather new research contributions from all disciplines of environmental sciences by many Euro-Mediterranean scientists from diverse backgrounds, in particular from the geo- and bio-environmental sciences and engineering, and thus make an essential contribution towards ensuring that science and knowledge can contribute to promoting a more sustainable environment for the Euro-Mediterranean region.
Read more: http://www.emcei.net/ .
Among northern-African countries, Tunisia has been a forerunner in terms of environmental awareness. During the Ben Ali era, it has been the first Arab state to set up a ministry for the environment (in 1991); after the 2010 revolution, the National Constituent Assembly inserted a reference to the commitment against climate change in the new 2014 Constitution.
Since the beginning of the 2011 revolution and the deposition of President Mubarak, Egypt has entered a new phase of political and social unrest. In 2014 Marshal Abdel Fattah el-Sisi won the general elections by an overwhelming majority yet without experiencing an internal social pacification. In this context Egypt participated in the 2015 COP21 and committed itself to both mitigation and adaptation efforts. To date, however, the country has not ratified the Paris Agreement.
A rentier state with a national GDP almost entirely dependent on hydrocarbons revenues, Algeria is a strategic geopolitical actor for the Mediterranean and Northern African area, and also a likely green energy exports leader in the near future, if policy pledges are to be fulfilled. The country’s economy mostly relies on revenues on the exports of oil and gas. In 2012 Algeria was considered the third largest oil producer in Africa after Nigeria and Libya, and the sixth largest natural gas producer in the world.
Morocco is hosting the second UNFCCC climate talks in the country’s history. With the Paris agreement already into force before the Marrakech conference, the Moroccan government has the opportunity to lead a COP focused on means and strategies to actually implement the agreement, rather than on the ratification process. Morocco is a strategic actor of the MENA and South-Mediterranean region, despite its status of of lower middle-income economy with a per-capita GDP among the lowest in North Africa.
In collaboration with the EU Maltese presidency, the MEP Water Group convened a successful public session on "Water Reuse - an effective tool to address water scarcity" on the 7th of March at the European Parliament. The session was chaired by Esther de Lange, President of the MEP Water Group and hosted five high-level panellists, who presented their own perspectives on why water-reuse is a valuable solution to address water scarcity, adaptation to climate change and implement circular economy.
The 11th General Assembly of the Mediterranean Network of Basin Organisations (MENBO) will take place 22-24 March 2017 in Malta, at the invitation of the Maltese authorities, and coinciding with the Maltese Presidency of the Council of the European Union. The Assembly will be organised around three thematic blocks on: Water and adaptation to climate change, Water and agriculture in the Mediterranean and Non-conventional water resources: reuse and desalination.
The WaterWorks 2015 Call, which is a joint ERA-NET Cofund between FACCE-JPI and Water JPI, has shortlisted and recommended for funding 21 top research projects for a total Grant amount of over 17 million euros, with the projects' total costs being over 21 million euros. The 21 projects are covering a wide range of disciplines from social and economic sciences to nature sciences, and addressing a range of societal challenges related to Water and Agriculture.
ENPI latest news
- Mogherini visits Lebanon
- EU Spokesperson: Israeli new settlements announcement seriously undermines two-state solution
- Mogherini and UN Special Representative for Libya discuss security, migration and EU-UN cooperation
- Mogherini urges greater cooperation and integration in the Mediterranean
- SwitchMed presents Eco-Innovative applications to Moroccan enterprises
Union for the Mediterranean - UfM
EIB latest publications
CIHEAM press reviews
- Crop trade depletes global groundwater - News - Nature Middle East
- 3 Big Myths about Modern Agriculture
- Géopolitique, le débat - L'eau en Méditerranée Orientale: quelles actions prioritaires?
- La FAO lance un plan d'attaque contre le charançon rouge du palmier
- Pour en finir avec l'insécurité alimentaire en Afrique et en Méditerranée
European Institute of the Mediterranean - IEMED - Spain
- 11/04: Spanish Foreign Minister Alfonso Dastis discusses economic cooperation in Tunisia as Spanish-Tunisian Chamber of Commerce opens
- 11/04: Cyprus talks resume after two months
- 10/04: Migration, cooperation and chemical attacks in Syria, headlines of the third meeting of Southern EU countries.
- 03/04: Italy, Greece, Cyprus and Israel agree on implementing a gas pipeline through the Eastern Mediterranean.
- The linguistic panorama of the Arab world
Consulat Général de France à Jérusalem
Network of marine protected area managers in the Mediterranean - MedPAN
- Candidatez pour le collaborative leadership learning forum des AMP!
- RESERVEBENEFIT : un nouveau projet pour étudier le bénéfice des réserves marines
- Projet DestiMED: Appel à manifestation d'intérêt pour la mise en oeuvre d'Actions Pilotes en écotourisme dans les AMP grecques
- Projet DestiMED: Appel à manifestation d'intérêt pour la mise en oeuvre d'Actions Pilotes en écotourisme dans les AMP françaises
- Le projet FishMPABlue2 : améliorer la gouvernance de la pêche artisanale dans les AMP
The European Water Platform news
- First edition of Water Market Europe event marked by success!
- Horizon 2020 to be topped up with €200 million
- Commission to invest almost €104 million in 71 innovative companies under Horizon 2020 SME Instrument
- MEP Water Group Public Session: Water Reuse – an effective tool to address water scarcity’
- EU Sustainable Energy Awards 2017- Deadline extended to submit your application!
- Technical assistance for Supporting Education Sector Reform Rabat, Morocco - (Closing date: 20 February 2017)
- Technical assistance to Jordan Microfinance Network - Tanmeyah - (Closing date: 8 February 2017)
- Technical Support to upgrading the Solid waste Management Capacities (Closing date: 31 January 2017)
- Equipment for the Lebanese Armed Forces and General Directorate of General Security - (Closing date: 17 March 2017)
- Framework contract for the provision of security guarding services (2017-2018) - (Closing date: 19 January 2017)
EIB latest news
Canal Investigación MINECO - Spain
- El Laboratorio Europeo de Biología Molecular abre en Barcelona su primera subsede en casi 20 años
- Resultados provisionales Severo Ochoa 2016
- Finaliza la XXX Campaña Antártica Española
- La Agencia Estatal de Investigación destina 40 millones de euros para reforzar la excelencia científica
- Resolución de concesión de la convocatoria “Proyectos Europa Excelencia” 2016
Enseignement Superieur et Recherche - Europe et international - France
- Échange d'assistants parlementaires stagiaires à Berlin
- Moscou et Saint-Pétersbourg : recrutement d'enseignants pour les Collèges universitaires ...
- Attribution du Prix Gay-Lussac Humboldt 2016
- #Rétro 2016 - Enseignement supérieur et Recherche
- Lancement d'Extrasup, un projet national et européen pour reconnaître et valider les acquis ...
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO Newsroom
- Making the international trade in plants and seeds a safer venture
- Tracking fish “from sea to plate” to keep illegal catches out of global supply chains
- New partnership recognizes consumers as drivers for Zero Hunger
- Lake Chad Basin: a crisis rooted in hunger, poverty and lack of rural development
- FAO Director-General visits hunger-threatened northeastern Nigeria, calls for urgent increase in assistance