The High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition (HLPE) of the UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS) is pleased to announce the publication of the HLPE "Report on Water for Food Security and Nutrition". The HLPE report was launched in FAO/Rome on 15 May 2015. Presenters included Per Pinstrup-Andersen, HLPE Steering Committee Chair; Maryam Rahmanian, HLPE Steering Committee Vice-Chair and Lyla Mehta, HLPE Project Team leader.
Following the recent adoption of OECD Principles on Water Governance, the OECD is currently working towards the development of Water Governance Indicators, with the objective to identify and scale up best practices and to provide a systemic framework to evaluate the effectiveness of water-related institutions and governance instruments.
EcoPeace Middle East/WEDO, together with consortium partners at the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) and Global Nature Fund (GNF), and lead consultant Royal HaskoningDHV, released the first ever Regional NGO Master Plan for Sustainable Development in the Jordan Valley at a conference on June 9, 2015 on the Jordanian shores of the Dead Sea.
The UNESCO Chair of Sustainable Development Management and Education in the Mediterranean (University of Athens), together with MIO-ECSDE/MEdIES are organizing the Mediterranean survey, under the political guidance of the Secretariat of the Union of the Mediterranean(UfM) entitled: "Mediterranean Youth Responses towards sustainable development and current crisis".
This conference brought together decision makers, economic stakeholders, protected areas managers, representatives of civil society and scientists from several countries around the Mediterranean. It was held on Wednesday 24 June 2015 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Villa Méditerranée in Marseille. The conference was preceded by a sea trip in the Calanques National Park on Tuesday 23 June in the morning.
The increased deployment of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies (RE&EET) in the South Eastern Mediterranean (SEMED) region and in the Early Transition Countries (ETC) could bring a host of benefits, including enhanced energy security, increased national revenues and environmental gains. A new IEA Insights paper considers policy options for supporting the deployment of RE&EET, as well as the surrounding factors that can enable - or indeed impede - the successful implementation of such support policies in both regions.
Towards2030-dialogue project has the pleasure to announce the publication of the 4th Issue Paper. The aim of the 4th Towards2030-dialogue Issue Paper is to investigate public benchmarks of how the EU target for 2030 could be broken down into individual contributions from each Member State. The current Issue Paper presents and assesses various benchmark setting options taking into account the potential availability of renewable resources and related costs.
Read more: http://towards2030.eu/ .
The Kick-off event for the INTERREG MED Programme 2014-2020 took place on Tuesday 23rd June 2015 in Marseilles. The MED Kick-Off is part of a joint event entitled "Global challenges, Mediterranean solutions. Decision making and concrete actions", starting on 22nd June. The conference "Global challenges, Mediterranean solutions. Decision making and concrete actions" will offer an occasion to discuss and exchange on cooperation strategies for challenges that Europe and the world are facing.
Various Heads of UN institutions and other international organizations published messages to mark the 2015 World Day to Combat Desertification (WDCD) on 17 June, which was commemorated under the slogan, "No such thing as a free lunch: Invest in healthy soils".
Practical Action is pleased to announce the launch of the latest edition of our poor people’s energy briefing series on The Energy-Water-Food Nexus at Decentralised Scales. This paper uses Practical Action’s experiences with micro-hydro schemes to connect global nexus debates to the experiences of and solutions for remote off-grid communities and smallholder farmers. Through examples in Peru, Nepal, and Zimbabwe we exemplify the need for an integrated approach to energy, water, and food security.
ENPI latest news
- Mogherini visits Lebanon
- EU Spokesperson: Israeli new settlements announcement seriously undermines two-state solution
- Mogherini and UN Special Representative for Libya discuss security, migration and EU-UN cooperation
- Mogherini urges greater cooperation and integration in the Mediterranean
- SwitchMed presents Eco-Innovative applications to Moroccan enterprises
Union for the Mediterranean - UfM
EIB latest publications
CIHEAM press reviews
- Crop trade depletes global groundwater - News - Nature Middle East
- 3 Big Myths about Modern Agriculture
- Géopolitique, le débat - L'eau en Méditerranée Orientale: quelles actions prioritaires?
- La FAO lance un plan d'attaque contre le charançon rouge du palmier
- Pour en finir avec l'insécurité alimentaire en Afrique et en Méditerranée
European Institute of the Mediterranean - IEMED - Spain
- 11/04: Spanish Foreign Minister Alfonso Dastis discusses economic cooperation in Tunisia as Spanish-Tunisian Chamber of Commerce opens
- 11/04: Cyprus talks resume after two months
- 10/04: Migration, cooperation and chemical attacks in Syria, headlines of the third meeting of Southern EU countries.
- 03/04: Italy, Greece, Cyprus and Israel agree on implementing a gas pipeline through the Eastern Mediterranean.
- The linguistic panorama of the Arab world
Consulat Général de France à Jérusalem
Network of marine protected area managers in the Mediterranean - MedPAN
- Candidatez pour le collaborative leadership learning forum des AMP!
- RESERVEBENEFIT : un nouveau projet pour étudier le bénéfice des réserves marines
- Projet DestiMED: Appel à manifestation d'intérêt pour la mise en oeuvre d'Actions Pilotes en écotourisme dans les AMP grecques
- Projet DestiMED: Appel à manifestation d'intérêt pour la mise en oeuvre d'Actions Pilotes en écotourisme dans les AMP françaises
- Le projet FishMPABlue2 : améliorer la gouvernance de la pêche artisanale dans les AMP
The European Water Platform news
- First edition of Water Market Europe event marked by success!
- Horizon 2020 to be topped up with €200 million
- Commission to invest almost €104 million in 71 innovative companies under Horizon 2020 SME Instrument
- MEP Water Group Public Session: Water Reuse – an effective tool to address water scarcity’
- EU Sustainable Energy Awards 2017- Deadline extended to submit your application!
- Technical assistance for Supporting Education Sector Reform Rabat, Morocco - (Closing date: 20 February 2017)
- Technical assistance to Jordan Microfinance Network - Tanmeyah - (Closing date: 8 February 2017)
- Technical Support to upgrading the Solid waste Management Capacities (Closing date: 31 January 2017)
- Equipment for the Lebanese Armed Forces and General Directorate of General Security - (Closing date: 17 March 2017)
- Framework contract for the provision of security guarding services (2017-2018) - (Closing date: 19 January 2017)
EIB latest news
Canal Investigación MINECO - Spain
- El Laboratorio Europeo de Biología Molecular abre en Barcelona su primera subsede en casi 20 años
- Resultados provisionales Severo Ochoa 2016
- Finaliza la XXX Campaña Antártica Española
- La Agencia Estatal de Investigación destina 40 millones de euros para reforzar la excelencia científica
- Resolución de concesión de la convocatoria “Proyectos Europa Excelencia” 2016
Enseignement Superieur et Recherche - Europe et international - France
- Échange d'assistants parlementaires stagiaires à Berlin
- Moscou et Saint-Pétersbourg : recrutement d'enseignants pour les Collèges universitaires ...
- Attribution du Prix Gay-Lussac Humboldt 2016
- #Rétro 2016 - Enseignement supérieur et Recherche
- Lancement d'Extrasup, un projet national et européen pour reconnaître et valider les acquis ...
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO Newsroom
- Making the international trade in plants and seeds a safer venture
- Tracking fish “from sea to plate” to keep illegal catches out of global supply chains
- New partnership recognizes consumers as drivers for Zero Hunger
- Lake Chad Basin: a crisis rooted in hunger, poverty and lack of rural development
- FAO Director-General visits hunger-threatened northeastern Nigeria, calls for urgent increase in assistance